Green Cycler Pre-Composter + Giveaway
Do you compost? I have to confess, I don’t now but I want to. I love gardening (I may not be great at it, but I enjoy it), but I’m finding that my soil needs some TLC. I need to fertilize it. What better way to get the nourishment it needs then to add some compost to it? And what’s even better then that? Homemade compost! My kid’s kindergarten class did this last year. If they can do it, I “should” be able to handle it.
I received Green Cycler’s new countertop food scrap shredder and recycling system to review and it’s gotten my tush in gear. This appliance makes food scrap rescue easy, clean, hassle-free and stylish while speeding the organics recovery cycle. Green Cycler is the ideal product for those that are looking for a clean and easy way to pre-compost left over food for their garden or green bin. A brand new home appliance is helping consumers compile less trash! Now I either need to make or purchase a compost bin since I’m pre-composting all of my scraps.
Now, when I say “all my scraps,” we are not talking meat, people, we’re talking about veggies and fruits. Things that are grown in the earth can be put back into the earth without inviting animals into your refuse.
I found this video helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5gHmrZnuzmk
Why Green Cycler? Why is shredding so important?
- Compost 10-Times Faster
- Powerful Eco-Friendly Shredding
- Ick-Free Storage System
- Easy Clean-Up Components
Anybody who’s tried their hand at composting can tell you: when you shred your green waste into smaller pieces, you give friendly composting organisms more surface area to “attack.” If you don’t shred your composting ingredients, especially in climates with short summers, you will re-visit your late-season watermelon rind and find it mostly intact months later. Throw a fully intact apple into the pile during the winter and you’ll still recognize its form come spring. No matter what your environment, shredding organic waste can expedite the composting process by 10 times, and, according to UC Berkeley, is “the key to successful composting.”
I don’t have a ton of counter space, so I store my unit. I use it a few times a week when I have a lot scraps or peels. When I do use it, I pull it out of storage and then immediately dump it into my “soon-to-be compost pile.” Make sure you wash it after every use! There is no airtight seal and even though it comes with a filter, there will still be a smell if you leave it for an undetermined amount of time. What’s nice is that you can throw it into the dishwasher. However, with my tiny dishwasher, it takes up a lot of space so I end up washing it by hand. It’s not too bad or time consuming. The unit is sleek and fashionable and will blend in nicely and be handier (not to mention more valuable) than the garbage disposal.
- Self-contained, stainless-steel blade cartridge system snaps in and out for quick clean-up
- Hand-operated, dual-direction grinding action ensures optimal shredding results
- Fully removable lid features a clear viewing window that gives you a birds-eye view of the shredding action
- Lever-activated, industrial-strength suction cups keep Green Cycler anchored while you shred
- Micro-vented throughout to help reduce odor-causing bacteria & promote quick decomposition
- Designed for easy clean-up. All components dishwasher safe
- Inner-compartment holds optional odor and pest repellent filters
- On the counter: designed to fit neatly against your backsplash and under upper cabinets
- Under the counter: perfectly sized to be tucked out of site under the sink or in a cabinet
- Sliding storage drawer’s comfort-grip handle and pour-spout feature make it easy to carry and simple to empty and clean
- EcoDrawer’s air-flow-wave design optimizes circulation and aerobic decomposition
- Built-in retainers securely hold optional compostable liners or bags
- Size and Weight: 12 7/8”H x 14 3/8”W x 12 1/8”D; 7 lbs
- EcoDrawer Capacity: One gallon shredded material
- Manufactured in the U.S.A.
1 lucky winner on The Mommy-Files will receive his/her very own Green Cycler!!