Long-distance relationships are never easy, but there are usually unavoidable circumstances that keep two people apart for a while. So whether you’re away at school or working in another city, here are a few things you can do to keep the relationship healthy and exciting.
- Write a letter – In the age of text messages and emails, getting a handwritten letter has become a rare occurrence. There’s a personalization and intimacy that is lost with digital communication – plus, everyone can appreciate the joy and excitement that comes with finding a personalized letter in the mail among bills and coupons.
- Send a package – If you’re feeling ambitious, send your letter in a care package. You can include things like candy, favorite foods, small gifts, books, movies or a mix CD. Look into flat-rate mailing boxes at your local post office to save money on shipping.
- Have flowers delivered – If you know the address where your significant other works or goes to school, arrange to have flowers sent during the day. They’ll appreciate the gesture, and you’ll make a good impression with their coworkers or classmates. And since online flower delivery services like proflowers.com allow you to order online, it’ll only take a few minutes to make a grand gesture.
- Visit unexpectedly – One of the most thoughtful things you can do for your boyfriend or girlfriend is to plan a trip to see them. Keep in mind that they are probably busy at certain times, and that an unexpected visit may be disruptive. Only plan an unexpected visit when you know they will be available. If your significant other lives close enough, you may be able to plan a road trip to see them. And if you’re concerned about the price of a road trip, which is often the case if you’re still in college, look into car insurance for young drivers. Compare a few car insurance quotes to find a good rate, which can make budgeting for your trip a little easier.
- Fly them home – If you can’t get away on a trip, send them plane tickets to see you instead. Again, you’ll have to find a time when it would be convenient for them to leave home, which could be during a long weekend or holiday.
Whatever you decide to do, the main goal is to remind your significant other that you’re thinking of them. Long-distance relationships are hard but a little bit of thoughtfulness goes a long way.
Dale Cooper has been blogging about financial services, insurance and education for more than three years. He holds a B.A. in English and lives in Cleveland. In his spare time, Dale enjoys cooking and traveling.
Sponsored content was created and provided by Nationwide Insurance.
Enter your email address: