Help! My Son Ate Hydrocortisone Cream!
In our house, we have Desitin and Hydrocortisone Cream, both of which are kept in the “diaper basket.” My almost 2 year old is also learning to brush his teeth – with the fruity Oral-B toothpaste – ya know with bears and Thomas the Train? I think he sucks more of it than he actually gets on his teeth, unless I’m brushing them!
The other night, I had just finished changing dirty diapers and stepped away to properly dispose of the diapers in the diaper champ. I left the diaper basket on the floor, making a bee line straight to the trash and then the sink to wash my hands. When I returned, I found my almost 2 year old son with white stuff all over his hands and face, on the rug, and making this fake coughing noise – like he was trying to clear his throat.
I immediately panicked and thought…”Oh no! The desitin!” In the grasp of his small hands was not a tube of desitin, but a tube of hydrocortisone cream, which was still open and squirting out of the tube in his hands. I took the tube away from him and told him to say “aww” - looking into his mouth. I’m not quite sure how I would have attempted to get the white stuff out of his mouth if it were in there, but I told him to open his mouth anyways. I wiped his hands and face with a wipe (this gets the oily residue off really well) and then briefly wiped up the carpet.
I picked up the phone and dialed poison control – the 2nd easiest number in the world to remember – 1-800-222-1222. I told the woman on the other end what happened and she seemed quite calm about it. I was seeking her help for fear my toddler ate Hydrocortisone Cream.
Woman: How much was in the tube?
Me: It’s a 2 oz tube.
Woman: What percentage was it? Was their anything else in it, like pain relievers?
Me: 2% Hydrocortisone Cream with Aloe Vera
Woman: How much do you think he had? A teaspoon maybe?
Me: Maybe that or less.
Woman: He should be fine. There may be vomitting if he ate a lot of it, but it sounds like he didn’t ingest too much so he should be fine. He could eat an ounce of it and still be fine.
Me: Wow! Thank goodness it wasn’t an ounce!
I thought a squirt or two was scary! I couldn’t imagine how I would be feeling if he ate 1/2 the tube! She said I could give him some milk and that might help a little bit, but otherwise he should be fine.
Thank goodness for Poison Control! You’ve helped this mommy once again!
I was not compensated for writing this post. This comes from my own experience as a mother of boys. All opinions are 100% mine!